Monday, January 17, 2011

Who are you?

We all bring our own perspective to writing. Who we are, or who we think we are, determines what we do and how we do it. A lot of this information has to do with words, labels and self-fulfilling prophecy.

Have you ever had your identity shaken? Have you ever had a revelation that changed the way you looked at the world? If so, you are lucky. Because then you can bring two perspectives to a piece of writing, and chances are, you will discover something new and exciting, as will your readers.

I bring up this topic today after hearing about the changes in the astrological calendar. There is a new sign, which changes the dates of a lot of the other signs. My birthday is coming up, and I am (or was) an Aquarius. I don't think about that a lot, but I find some aspects of the sign comforting, and I use them to my advantage. My first thought when I heard about the change was, Oh no, I can't be a Capricorn, that's just not me. I don't care what they say, I'm not changing.

 But later in the day I decided that the way I see myself, or think about myself, really only exists only in my head. It doesn't matter what sign I am, and a change may help me see myself in a new light. Maybe it will open some horizons that I didn't even think existed, or uncover aspects of my personality that I had played down because they didn't "fit."

When we are told we are one thing, and then find out we are something else, it can shake up our world a little bit. That's a good thing. Use a new perspective in your writing. See where it takes you.

See you later,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment