Friday, May 11, 2012

Top novel opening lines

Do you have a favorite first line from a novel? I don't know if I can select just one, but I sure had fun reading the list of the top 100.

Regardless of whether you've read the books, or agree with the selection, you'll probably recognize many famous first lines from the list generated a few years ago by Illinois State University's American Book Review.

I've included a link to a web:

http://americanbookreview.org/100BestLines.asp

Have fun, and let me know which one is your favorite!

Write soon,

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Mary--I did enjoy looking at all those first lines. Thanks for the link. (Often I read the first line before I buy a book. If it hooks me right away, it has a chance of keeping me engaged.)

    My favorite has remained the same for the over 40 years. Dickens' "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." The lilting cadence of it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that line also, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete