Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Can't see the forest for the trees

Goals


Is it too late in the year to talk about goals? I should have written about this topic in January, when everyone takes the opportunity to leave the old bad habits from the previous year, and take only those characteristics that will serve us well in the next.

OK, I’m not the greatest goal setter in the world. Let me amend that. I am a good goal setter, but not a good goal accomplisher. I would like to blame it on kids, or my job, or something else upon which I have no control, but I can’t. I’m easily distracted. There’s just so much going on in the world that it’s hard to stay focused.

I do keep lists to keep track of what I need to accomplish, but I don’t consider “Review Chapter 3 Power Point slides, drop my Netflix DVD into the mail and pay the mortgage” worthy goals.

To me, goals imply something significant – maybe even noble. Building houses for Habitat for Humanity, mission trips to the Appalachian Mountains to build accessibility ramps for wheelchairs, and learning Latin all seem like worthy goals.

I am the opposite of a woman I worked with named JoBeth. JoBeth was so efficient that not only did she accomplish her goals, she then Tweeted them, filled out a form and filed them under the letter “G.” For many years, I wanted to be like JoBeth. Then I spent some time with her and changed my mind. She is focused, yes, but sometimes that focus was so narrow that she missed everything else, including the big picture. She scheduled every minute of every day with no room left for anything fun that might pop up.

I am all about the impromptu cup of coffee with a friend, or taking a new path when I walk the dog just because I’ve never gone that way before. It’s good to have goals, but it’s also good to have kids who know you will play a game with them. Don’t let your goals get in the way of enjoying your life.

My friend Yvonne told me her five year plan went out the window 10 years ago. That’s the kind of goal strategy that I can relate to. Maybe I’ll call her to see if she wants to go get a cup of coffee.

Talk to you soon,

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I love this! I'm a lot like you. I have great intentions...but..! Please stop by my blog and read my latest about trying to get things accomplished....I'm easily distracted, too! Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete