Thursday, August 16, 2012

Are you sleepy?


Maybe you should go to bed – or should you? If you have a plot, character or research problem that you can’t overcome, you might try staying up late to solve it!  

According to an article titled Perfect Timing in the September, 2012 issue of Mental Floss (my new favorite magazine), people think more abstractly when they are tired. “Letting your mind wander when you’re worn out might lead to a creative solution to a problem that seemed insurmountable at noon.”

So this weekend, ignore the clock, stay up late and work on your writing.

Write soon,

Mary

4 comments:

  1. Mary--I DO know there have been times when I was creating a worksheet to use in my classroom, dozed off while sitting in front of my laptop and yet kept typing. I would snort myself awake, and then look at what I had typed; they were words, but had nothing to do with the subject at hand.

    So, I will try that when working on a writing piece. Perhaps a bit of creative nonfiction will take a detour, and become a sci-fi piece...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting. Did the words you typed while "sleep typing" make sense? Maybe you should sleep with your laptop and see what happens!That would save so much time if you could write while you sleep!

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I'll have to look up your new fav mag, because I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of it either until I was house sitting, and it's one of those magazine that has all kinds of interesting bits of information, along with longer articles that you don't see in other magazines. They also have a website.

    ReplyDelete