Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Would you buy this app?


Are you motivated by fear? If so, I may have the perfect app for you!

Write or Die is a web application from Dr. Wicked that encourages writers to write. The program lets you set a word-count goal, enter a time limit and watch your progress on the horizontal bars at the top of the screen as you enter text in the box. 

Writers choose from three levels of motivation. On the gentle setting, you get a prompt to keep you moving toward your goal. On the normal setting, an unpleasant sound is emitted if you fall behind, and in kamikaze mode, words begin to disappear. Yes, words disappear from your screen! Is that enough motivation for you?

And if you’re one of those writers who goes back to revise when you should be writing, there are options to disable the backspace and save keys until the goals are met. Writers can also keep track of stats, and enter “Word Wars,” allowing them to compete with other writing buddies.

Write or Die was recently released as an iPad app for $9.99. Go to writeordie.com to find out how brave you are!
   
Write soon (and quickly, if you use this app),

Mary

7 comments:

  1. Mary--This would be great to use during NaNoWriMo. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I was thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I'm not sure if I'd buy the app, but I think it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, sounds like an interesting app. I may check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm holding out for an app that provides me with incentives. Something like:

    "Write 500 words and get a free massage."

    Sold!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good to me! Let me know when you find it!

    ReplyDelete